14 Jul Volunteer in an Outdoor Preschool Classroom!
Do you want to make a difference in a child life? You can! We’re looking for volunteers to help out in the classroom at Camp Long, Jefferson, John C Little and Carkeek Park. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a supportive teaching team and help a child get joyfully muddy, be wildly creative and enjoy the childhood we all deserve – one full of play, adventure and wonder. Contact Serena@TinyTrees.org to sign up.
Now Hiring Classroom Volunteers
Tiny Trees Preschool gives children a quality education and a joyful, nature rich childhood: one full of play, exploration, and wonder. Through the use of outdoor classrooms in Seattle city parks, Tiny Trees eliminates the cost of a brick and mortar facility, making preschool affordable and accessible to all families. An official partner of Seattle Parks and Recreation, Tiny Trees is opening nine locations in the Greater Seattle Area in 2016 and 2017. More information is available by watching this video from our win of SVP’s Fast Pitch Competition, listening to this KUOW interview, or at TinyTrees.org.
With the help of a courageous board of directors, a capable CEO, and a gregarious director of education, we’ve built the organization needed to bring affordable, high quality, and culturally responsive preschool to scale at parks across Seattle and Puget Sound. What we need now are enthusiastic volunteers to help make it happen. We need you!
As a Classroom Volunteer you will:
- Support our teachers in one of six outdoor classes based in a Seattle Park to create an inviting and emotionally safe classroom. Classes are at John C Little, Jefferson, Camp Long and Carkeek Parks.
- Support the health, safety, and welfare of all children. This includes helping children stay warm and dry in poor weather, managing risk in an outdoor setting and addressing student conflict.
- Interact with the public. This may include giving directions, explaining what outdoor preschool looks like, and highlighting resources or activities in the park.
- Excited to get dirty and laugh a lot while being outside in all types of weather.
- Love children, equity in education, and the environment.
- Tolerant of uncertainty and change.
- Able to commit to at least two months of volunteering at one site on a regular scheduled day and time. More time is always welcome!
Most of our classrooms need volunteers Monday through Friday either in the morning from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. or in the afternoon from 1:30 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. Our classrooms include Camp Long, Carkeek Park, Jefferson Park and John C. Little Park. An example commitment would be Jefferson Park, Fridays 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. from September through October.
We are especially eager to engage volunteers with backgrounds similar to those of the young people we serve. Multi-lingual and people of color encouraged to apply.
Volunteer! Contact Serena Lehman at firstname.lastname@example.org to get plugged in.