20 Apr We’re Hiring! Philanthropy Coordinator
With the help of a courageous board of directors, a capable CEO, and a talented team of educators, we’ve built the organization needed to bring affordable, high quality, and culturally responsive preschool to scale at parks across Seattle and the Puget Sound. What we need now is a passionate fundraiser who can help bring Tiny Trees to the next level. What we need is you!
(Full time: 50% individual giving, 25% event coordination, 15% grant writing, 10% substitute teaching.)
Tiny Trees Preschool gives children a quality education and a joyful, nature rich childhood: one full of play, exploration and wonder. By creating joyful, outdoor classrooms in Seattle & King County Parks, Tiny Trees eliminates the cost of a brick and mortar facility. This makes preschool affordable and accessible to all families and allows us to invest in what really matters: empowering great teachers. Tiny Trees is an official partner of Seattle’s Parks and Recreation & King County Parks and is a provider for the Seattle Preschool Program – Pathways, which provides free tuition at Tiny Trees for children in poverty.
Tiny Trees opened 4 locations in September 2016 at Camp Long (West Seattle), Carkeek Park (North Seattle), Jefferson Park (SE Seattle) & Rainier Valley (SE Seattle). New outdoor schools at the SAM Olympic Sculpture Park (Downtown Seattle), Cougar Mountain (Issaquah/Renton), and Big Finn Hill Park (Kirkland) open fall of 2017. More information in this Q13 Fox News interview, this Seattle Times article or at TinyTrees.org.
As the Philanthropy Coordinator you will:
Work closely with our Chief Executive Officer to help children and families at our 7 locations in Seattle and King County, and to build the philanthropic support to open additional schools in 2018. This will include:
50% Individual Giving
- Work directly with the CEO to develop and implement an annual fundraising plan (we’ll be a fundraising department of 2!).
- Write compelling, graceful prose that is fun, centers on the donor experience, and emotionally rich.
- With the CEO, create and execute a stewardship plan for each of our major donors.
- Implement targeted individual donor campaigns including email and direct mail appeals, special giving days (Give BIG!), and donor acquisition.
- Manage monthly giving program, increasing enrollment and renewals.
- Oversee gift processing, including acknowledgement letters, donor receipts and data entry.
- Research and analyze donor trends in order to make strategic and continuous improvement recommendations.
- Assist in devising and maintaining systems for ensuring that mail, filing, correspondence, and messages are handled in a timely manner.
- Make sure a thank you note is written for every gift, every time, within 72 hours.
- Make donor retention a priority (this means sending out lots of stories and sharing gratitude).
25% Event Coordinator
- Work with our board, event chair, and CEO to coordinate our annual luncheon (fall).
- Help coordinate our year end celebration (cultivation event in the spring).
- Throw awesome major donor parties/gatherings as needed.
15% Grant Writing
- Execute the grant portion of the annual fundraising plan, including writing grants as needed.
- Regularly research restricted and unrestricted grant opportunities for federal and state government grants/contracts, private foundations and corporate support.
10% Substitute Teacher (Because you need to be able to tell compelling stories about Tiny Trees!)
- Be on call, in the classroom a couple days per month. No previous teaching experience required. You will be trained as an assistant teacher.
- Able to throw a kick-ass party.
- Loves sending thank you notes, has a passion for Christmas cards, and other traits of someone who is often thinking of others and giving thanks.
- Fiercely optimistic, and driven to make a better future now.
- Loves meeting new people, cultivates laughter and joy.
- Passionate about equal access to education, early learning, child-directed and play-based learning, and the outdoors. You love children, equity in education, and the environment.
- Inter-culturally fluent. Meaning, you are easily able to communicate with adults from all backgrounds and walks of life and thrive in a culturally diverse workplace.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as needed.
- Excited to get dirty and laugh a lot while teaching outside in all types of weather as needed.
- In possession of excellent writing skills.
- Tolerant of uncertainty and change and understands that organizations continue to improve when the people who work there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
We are especially eager to hire individuals with backgrounds like those of the young people we serve. Multi-lingual and people of color encouraged to apply.
Job Title: Philanthropy Coordinator
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Office location: this position is based out of the Impact HUB in Pioneer Square and includes travel to all corners of King County. Bike locker & showers on site. 5 min walk to light rail station.
- This position is Monday through Friday, full time, and paid hourly (40 hours a week).
- The position is slated to begin June 19, 2016.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full time, 40 hours a week position. Range is $17.79 to $18.75 an hour (equivalent to a salary of $37,000 – $39,000 a year). Benefits are split between the 26 pay periods per year:
- Health insurance stipend: $3,600/year
- Retirement benefits (after six months of employment): $1,425/year
- Technology stipend: $300/year.
Two weeks paid time off (PTO) plus 10 holidays (PTO) and some school closure days (total paid time off: 5 weeks). Paid training and a budget for taking people out to lunch/drinks. Discount of up to 50% on outdoor clothing. Plus, children’s smiles available upon request.
Apply at: Please submit a cover letter and resume with contact info for three references at tinytrees.org/about/careers. Deadline for applications May 26. Start date June 19. Please no paper, snail mail, email, or hand-delivered applications (We’ll lose them. Using the link guarantees we will see it).