18 Oct We’re Hiring! Regional Manager for South King County
REGIONAL MANAGER – SOUTH KING COUNTY
(Full time: 50% Managing teachers, 25% Project Management, 20% outreach, 5% substitute teaching.)
Tiny Trees Preschool gives children a quality education and a joyful, nature rich childhood: one full of play, exploration, and wonder. By using outdoor classrooms in Seattle & King County parks, Tiny Trees eliminates the cost of a brick and mortar facility, making preschool affordable and accessible to all families and allowing us to invest in what really matters: empowering great teachers. An official partner of Seattle Parks and Recreation, King County Parks, and the Seattle Art Museum, Tiny Trees has 9 outdoor preschools in the Puget Sound region. More information is available by watching this video, reading this Seattle Times article, and at TinyTrees.org.
With the help of a courageous board of directors, a capable CEO, and a gregarious director of education, we’ve built the organization needed to bring affordable, high quality, and culturally responsive preschool to scale at parks across Seattle and Puget Sound. What we need now is a collaborative, passionate, and capable regional manager to help families in South King County. What we need is you!
As the Regional Manager you will:
Work closely with our director of education and CEO to open 5-7 new outdoor preschools in Auburn, Federal Way, Kent, Burien, Mercer Island, Issaquah, and Lynnwood by September 2018. This includes:
50% Hiring & Leading a Diverse Team of Educators
- Identify, recruit, and hire a team of 10-14 full time teachers & 2 program coordinators with a focus on building a culturally diverse team that reflects the demographics of each school’s neighborhood.
- Manage 3-4 rounds of hiring during Spring 2018 to ensure hiring is completed by July 1, 2018.
- Recruit and hire an on-call pool of substitute teachers.
- You build your team. You lead the hiring process for your team and then supervise them.
- Collaborate with the director of education and the coaching team in new staff and all staff training.
- Lead your team during the new school year. Ensure teachers needs are met. That children are safe & healthy, and receive a high-quality education.
25% Project Management – New Classroom Construction
- Collaborate with our curriculum coaches in designing a vibrant and creative outdoor classroom at each location.
- Coordinate with our land management partners to build the outdoor classrooms with an emphasis on re-purposed natural materials (logs, wood chips, etc.). See an outdoor classroom in this post.
- Coordinate construction of storage sheds, and portopotty protectors with the Tiny Trees carpenter.
- Maintain a positive relationship with Parks staff during the school year and respond to classroom needs as they arise.
20% Outreach, Sales and Community Partnerships
- Outreach to the neighborhoods surrounding each school with a focus on recruiting a student body that reflects the demographics of each neighborhood.
- Work with family empowerment coordinators to ensure culturally responsive admissions practices.
- Build partnerships with organizations to refer students to Tiny Trees.
- Focus on building relationships with immigrants and refugees, and communities of color.
- Build partnership with local community colleges to place volunteers in Tiny Trees classrooms.
5% Substitute Teacher
- Be on call, in the classroom a couple days per month. Manage the substitute pool for your region.
- Passionate about equal access to education, early learning, child-directed and play-based learning, and the outdoors. You love children, equity in education, and the environment.
- Fiercely optimistic in the face of adversity. Excited to lead people towards a hopeful future.
- Engaging and easily able to communicate with teachers, students, families, and peers.
- Inter-culturally fluent and able to develop culturally responsive teams and practices.
- Great at hiring people.
- Collaborative in process. Driven to complete projects efficiently & with quality.
- Excels at building culture. You help others shine.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as needed (as you schedule them).
- Excited to get dirty and laugh a lot while teaching outside in all types of weather as needed.
- Able to thrive in a noisy, vibrant environment where all are expected to multi-task.
- Tolerant of uncertainty and change and understand that organizations continue to improve when the people who work there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
- Rocks administrative systems and office life, including excel and talking on phones.
- Strong writing and critical thinking skills.
- 4-year degree or greater preferred (but not required, experience, personality, & skills matter most).
- Can drive a car. Ideally owns a car you can drive for work (& reimbursed for mileage).
- Bonus Points!
- Multi-lingual: Spanish, Mandarin, Somali (admissions team speaks Spanish & Mandarin).
- Masters in something awesome and applicable.
- Rave reviews from staff or teachers who you have supervised.
We are especially eager to hire individuals with backgrounds similar to those of the young people we serve. Multi-lingual and people of color encouraged to apply.
Job Title: Regional Manager
- Reports to the Director of Education and Operations (Erin Soper).
- Office location: this position is based out of the Impact HUB in Pioneer Square and includes travel to all corners of King County.
- This position is Monday through Friday, full time, and salaried for a 40-hour work week.
- The position is slated to begin January 4, 2018.
- Tiny Trees Preschool is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full time exempt position. Range is $50,000 to $53,000/year. A health insurance stipend of $3600/year is provided. Retirement benefits include a $1,875/year employer contribution after six months. Technology stipend of $300 a year and paid trainings. Two weeks paid time off (PTO) plus 10 holidays (PTO) and some school closure days (total paid time off: 5 weeks).
Apply at: Please submit a cover letter and resume with contact info for three references at tinytrees.org/about/careers. Priority Deadline November 27, Final Deadline to apply December 4. Please no paper, mailed, or hand-delivered applications (we’ll lose them).